[Woodcarver] Crucifix in Place

Ivan Whillock Studio carve at whillock.com
Mon Aug 16 17:47:05 EDT 2004

> Ivan,
  I'm wondering what your
> feelings are while you are carving something like that, both the large
> size of it and majesty of what you are carving?
>
> Dave

Hi Dave,

I really enjoy doing large-scale projects because they allow me to "loosen
up," so to speak.  I can use big tools and create the forms in large, bold
cuts. With a medium sized statue,  I would use medium-sized cuts to create
edges that create a play of light and define the form.  On a large statue, I
make similar cuts for a similar effect, but because the statue is large,
they can be  big and bold, proportional to the size of the statue.

Along the way there are many decisions to be made--the artistic composition
of the work, as well as the facial expression, posture of the body, the
"musical" content--rhythm, flow, emphasis, etc. Such choices as to the curve
of the leg, the position of the feet,   the tilt of the arm, the flow of the
hair, etc, etc, are decisions to be made that can contribute to the final
and, one hopes, spiritually moving effect.

Pulling all those elements together is a great challenge, and thus there is
an equally great reward when it all comes together.

Ivan Whillock Studio
122 NE 1st Avenue
Faribault, MN 55021
Visit my website at