[Woodcarver] Cleanup fuzzys and router question

George Farrell none332 at mchsi.com
Thu Aug 19 08:57:10 EDT 2004

> Hi Folks,this is Mary Jo again.I'm trying to do a relief carving in
> Basswood.I need to know how to smooth off the little Fuzzy places.
> Hi Mary Jo,

------

On Aug 19, 2004, at 8:01 AM, Joe Dillett wrote:

Irish. Another technique you might try is scraping. Putty knives make
> excellent scrapers. You can quickly grind them to fit the shape you
> need.
> Sharpen the scraper by leaving a burr rolled over the edge. When you
> pull
> that burr over the wood it will plane the surface smooth to whatever
> shape
> you have on your scraper. I have some putty knives ground into very
> small
> shapes for scrapping out small areas.

Joe's suggestion is an excellent one.  Here is another.  An ordinary
hacksaw
blade can be snapped off and the end ground smooth  (mostly to get rid
of the
raggedness from the break).  The only thing when grinding is to not let
the
metal get too hot so as turn blue.  This will make an excellent scraper.

Happiness is a tall boat and breeze to fill her sails
Have a good day
George