[Woodcarver] Cleanup fuzzys and router question

R. Stephan Toman rtoman at hvc.rr.com
Thu Aug 19 11:31:51 EDT 2004

Hi Mary Jo:

     For scraping in smaller areas I often use a usefully shaped and
sharpened Warren Tool Company blade:  There are alot of different
interchangeable blades that you can experiment with.  Exacto knives work as
well, but the Warren blades are more substantial and can be easily resharpened.

     For alot of the work I do I use the abrasive ScotchBrite finishing
pads ( usually the grey colored ones ) which I cut into as many rectangles
as the long side of the pad allows, fold over into double thickness squares
( about 2" to a side ), punch through the centers with an awl, and attach
to a mandrel on my Foredom handpiece. I use the ScotchBrite gray because
the dye does not come off on the wood:  The green and the red are less
colorfast.  The mandrel is basically a 1/4" threaded rod with a nut screwed
on maybe a half to 3/4 inch and tack welded.  I push the end of the rod
through the abrasive pad and lock it down with a lock washer and another
nut.  The nut is the same diameter as the Foredom handpiece wrench, which
is convenient for tightening.  The lock washer I made has "teeth" that grab
the pad and keep it from spinning on the mandrel.  I leave the pads square
and simply spin them over the fuzzy areas of my carving.   They become
round fairly quickly, but last for a while until the fibers fray out and
lose their abrasive properties.   Most or all of the fuzz is removed, but
the pad doesn't really affect the carving as long as it is handled with a
sensitive touch.  If you bear down with a little pressure, the wood is
lightly sanded and slightly burnished, but I have never really had a
problem with the carving itself being abraded or damaged, even on delicate
areas as long as you keep an eye on the direction of the grain of the
wood.  You can remove more fuzz if you go at it from two directions.

Hope this helps

Stephan

At 08:01 AM 8/19/2004, you wrote:
>To make a DONATION to the Mailing List using PayPal OR regular mail, click
>this link: http://wwwoodcarver.com/WWWList/WWWList.html
>
>Hi Folks,this is Mary Jo again.I'm trying to do a relief carving in
>Basswood.I need to know how to smooth off the little Fuzzy places.I've tried
>using a sanding stick but some of the places are to small to get in.I've
>also been reading that alot of carvers use a trim routers to rough out the
>background on the beginnig of the pattern. Does anyone think that's a good
>idea and if so where could I get a book that would give me the
>information.I read the list everyday and am grateful for the advice I've
>received so far.Thanks for all your help.Mary Jo
>
>*************
>
>Hi Mary Jo,
>
>What types of tools are you using, rotary power tools or hand tools like
>chisels and knives? Power tools tend to leave fuzzy areas because the tooth
>of the rotary in not razor sharp like a chisel and, because of the direction
>of tooth or the rotary tool will not reverse direction so some cuts are
>fighting the grain. If the tool is cutting into the grain rather than out of
>the grain it will make a rougher cut. The suggestions you are receiving
>here, for cleaning up the fuzzes, are excellent, especially from Susan
>Irish. Another technique you might try is scraping. Putty knives make
>excellent scrapers. You can quickly grind them to fit the shape you need.
>Sharpen the scraper by leaving a burr rolled over the edge. When you pull
>that burr over the wood it will plane the surface smooth to whatever shape
>you have on your scraper. I have some putty knives ground into very small
>shapes for scrapping out small areas.
>
>If you are using hand tools perhaps they are not sharp enough or you are
>cutting in the wrong direction, into the grain rather than out of the grain.
>If you are using hand tools make sure your cutting edges are razor sharp, so
>sharp you can shave with them. Also make sure they are completely free of
>nicks. If your tools are not sharp they will not make a clean cut and will
>rough the surface. If your tools are sharp and still leaving a rough surface
>try switching the direction of cut. The grain might be trying to pull the
>cutting edge into the cut and switching directions the grain will allow the
>cutting edge to plane the surface without digging in. This will result in a
>much smoother cut.
>
>Another key to clean cuts is to not exceed the depth of your stop cuts. By
>first making a clean stop cut, to protect a high area, you will be able to
>make clean cuts to remove the background down to the depth of the stop cut.
>If you exceed the depth of the stop cut you will brake the fibers at the
>stop and result in fuzzy edges.
>
>Sometimes I do use routers and other types of power tools for roughing out
>large areas. Most of the time I never route the whole surface. I route a
> [...]

   R. Stephan Toman - artisan/carver
-- Sonrise Woodcarving  Studio --

Refined carving, sculpture, and furniture-making
in the Old World and American
woodcarving and woodworking traditions

Phone: 845-687-9139
E-Fax: 707-361-0206