[Woodcarver] cane tips

cynda douglas cynda at iw.net
Thu Aug 19 13:37:21 EDT 2004

Butch,  I don't like the looks of the usual rubber tips, tho  they are
great for safety. I sure don't want metal on the ends as they can easily
slip, and the really nice ones in the catalogs are too pricey for me.  So I
make mine with a trip to the hardware store.  I buy the brass
ferrules  around 75 cents. These have a hole in the end.  I trim the end of
the cane to the size of the ferrule and put it on with epoxy putty.  I make
sure of a good seal so moisture can't get under it.  Then on the bottom I
went to wal mart, got some self stick round pads to put on the bottom of
chair legs to prevent slipping.  I cut a bit of a counter sink, and with a
small head flat screw put it on the bottom.  I then use a sharp knife to
trim it flush with the sides of the ferrule. I think it looks pretty
good.  I have gone a step further and added a brass ring just above it. ( I
don't know the name, but in the plumbing section.  I sand the cane smooth
and flush with it all.
I have a picture of it on my web site on the canes page.  I don't always
use the ring addition, as without it may be best on a neat formal type
cane.  They work well,  the rubber prevents slipping on hard surface, (very
important)  inexpensive, and the rubber is replaceable.
My site is http://woodneggs.tripod.com  and go to canes page.

Cynda