[Woodcarver] Bases for sculpture

Phill Pittman phill at masterwerkes.com
Fri Aug 20 11:21:59 EDT 2004

Good morning Azar,
Just a few thoughts;

 My first inclination would be to use a contrasting material and texture on most of the rich colored free form wood. Well rounded washed river stones ( if you have access to them large enough) or marble/granite with softened edges would be my first thought. Polished surface, but not bright, would present your work without being mistaken for part of your intent. Another choice would be mill finished or softly polished aluminum. You could form your original in clay or wood and have it cast for a base that complements the piece. In a few instances a mirror making the top surface of a round cornered box would actually become part of the piece as it would create vertical symmetry in an otherwise freeform work.

Best of luck, Phill

Phill Pittman
digicarve at verizon.net
www.masterwerkes.com