[Woodcarver] cane tips

cynda douglas cynda at iw.net
Sat Aug 21 13:33:32 EDT 2004

There are definite pluses for the easily acquired rubber tip.  Another one
being it is easy to resize the cane.  However, I have used mine, and have
had no problem with slippage, except possibley on ice, and that is where
nothing but a sharp spike works.  A fall can be life threatening, and no
one knows that any better than me.

So for those icy days, I use one I got in a medical supply store in Mont,
that is hinged on the side, and can be flipped down over the tip with teeth
for gripping.  Don't want to forget to flip it up for indoors.  someone
with a hardwood floor would be very unhappy. I presently just have it on a
standard metal cane, (my first cane from precarving days) and I use that
cane when ice is bad.  In So. Dak. that is a big problem in winter,
especially in parking spaces and by curbs getting around a car.  In fact i
usually just keep it in my vehicle.  These are really neat, not pretty but
VERY practical.  I have seen one like it on the internet somewhere.  If
anyone is interested, I'll try to run it down. Let me know.  For the rest
of the time, my concoction works well for me, tho I don't use a cane all
the time, just periodically on bad days.

I do love this list for all the valuable input.  It's a real education
along side the friendship and warmth and support of each other in here.
Woodcarvers are a great bunch of people in a wonderful community.  I have
gained more than you will ever know since coming here.  THANKS, MUSH, FOR
THE PUSH IN THIS DIRECTION!  AND , MUSH, WITHOUT YOU , I'D HAVE NO WEB SITE.
Cynda
http://woodneggs.tripod.com