[Woodcarver] comment, cane tip

cynda douglas cynda at iw.net
Sat Aug 21 16:15:03 EDT 2004

Ok, don't want to beat a dead horse, but I just remembered something. My
sister, unlike me, can hike. I made her a hiking stick last year with my
tip, and she walks 4 to 7 miles a day always using her stick and is a camp
ground host in the mountains out of Bozeman, Montana. She deals with wet,
rocks, ice, snow, etc. and has put it to a real test.  She has never had a
problem.  This rubber grip I use on the end is textured, not even as smooth
as the larger all rubber tips.  Actually, I wouldn't trust ANY tip on ice
except my toothed one or a spike.
I would NEVER put all metal like the ones gentlemen use/used as a fashion
accessory. That would be an accident waiting to happen.  OK, unless someone
asks, I won't bring it up again. :-)
I've seen the tips where one can screw in a point for ice, or remove it
and  they are great with the metal furruel for looks, plus safety.  I did
use the brass tip with rubber also from the catalogs, and they look sharp
but have rubber, also double duty.  I'd love to use them on all my canes as
one gets the looks and protection, but they are just too pricey for
me.  Seems they were in my favorite catalog, Lee Valley.  So I concocted my
own as close as I could.
Cynda
http://woodneggs.tripod.com