[Woodcarver] Diamond Paste

Joe Dillett jdillett at thecarvingshop.com
Mon Aug 30 11:22:25 EDT 2004

BlankHello To All
A sharpening question for the group. Has anyone used diamond paste in the
sharpening process? Is it even recommended? What "micron" (size) is best?
Even more basic...how is it used? What are some of the other polishing
compounds available? I normally use waterstones (4000 & 8000) and a leather
stop, and have been told polishing compounds such as diamond paste would add
to the sharpness of my gouges and knives. Any comments?
Wilson in Vista
**********************

Hi Wilson,

You're correct is that there are different micron sizes for diamond paste as
will as other buffing compounds from as small as 10 nanometers to as large
as 500 microns. I find for our type of sharpening/buffing that ½-micron size
works best. It is not quite optical quality but it is aggressive enough to
put a nice polish on the edge quickly. The green stuff (Zam) is ½-micron.
>From what I've found the Yellow Stone is about the same size. Diamond might
be more expensive but could be a better lapping/honing compound because it
is generally more aggressive depending on how it breaks down by leaving
sharp edges or rounding the edges of the particles.

Depending on the paste it can apply to almost any surface even rolled into a
copper plate like they do for polishing stones. The paste can also be used
as wet slurry for honing surfaces.

A polishing compound in some stropping or buffing operation is the typical
method of getting that razor sharp edge after using your sharpening stones.
Leather is the typical material used for strops. Remember to compensate your
angle for the softness of the leather.

Joe Dillett
The Carving Shop
645 E. LaSalle St. Suite 3