[Woodcarver] Re: Black Mangrove Wood

maricha maricha at ozemail.com.au
Mon Aug 30 23:49:10 EDT 2004

hi doug,

australian mangrove is great, fantastic to carve, but i do not know whether your blackmangrove is carvable. i presume it is, the mangrove i carved was given to me from different parts of australia... it is very dark, sometimes with light brown-yellowish flecks and reds oranges and blacks.... it is not commercially grown and prohibited to collect as it protects its surrounding environments.  carving and sculpting mangrove is not only easy as the timber is soft, but dense in parts and beautiful when finished.. most pieces are twisted and twirling making whatever you sculpt of great interest.  the finish is also 5 stars cause, with either wax or any of your favourite  polish it comes to life with a great patina....

because it is in and out of water constantly, depending on the tieds and water levels, caution is necessary... i do not know about the studies on toxic properties if sanded etc. perhaps someone in the list has more information for you regarding this aspect of mangrove.
cheers
maricha
http://www.oldjoe.org/MarichaOxley.html.