[Woodcarver] red cedar

dick carter rhc511 at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 1 11:52:37 EST 2004

>From: "Joe Dillett" <jdillett at thecarvingshop.com>
>
>Here in the Midwest and East, wood dries about 1 inch per year. If the log
>is long to where the drying is going to work it's way out the sides rather
>than the end and the log is 18 inches in diameter, drying time is 18 years.
>This is based on starting green and drying to about 18% moisture content.

Mornin' Joe,

I've seen variations of the "1 inch per year" rule of thumb. I've seen it
stated as you have, above.
I've also seen it stated that wood dries to a 1 inch *depth* per year. With
your method it'll take the 18 years, with the other method it'll only take 9
years. Which one do think is correct?
(Either way, it's a long time to watch wood dry.)

Dick Carter
rhc511 at hotmail.com
Please check-out my stuff at:
http://www.picturetrail.com/cartersstuff