[Woodcarver] Flat Plane Carving

Mike Bloomquist m.bloomquist at verizon.net
Thu Dec 2 10:35:52 EST 2004

Dick,
I know I'm going to overlap several responses you already have, but can't
help it.  Refsal's book, "Woodcarving in the Scandinavian Style" was my
first on the subject of woodcarving.  His Santa from BH&G Wood magazine was
my first Santa.  The new release of the book by Fox/Chapel is also in my
library now and I recommend it.  There's a fairly complete history of the
style in his book with examples from, among others, Emil Janel.

Simply put, it's carving with a knife only and telling your story with very
few, clean, well placed cuts.  Creases in the pants are a couple of chopped
V-cuts behind the knee... a smile detail is a couple of knicks for crow's
feet in the corners of the eye... things like that.  I personally have yet
to carve a good example, but elements of it are all through my carvings.
The little Adirondack Hemit I posted here earlier is probably as close as
I've come.  Every once in a while I take a stab at purely "flat plane"
piece, but usually break down and grab the v-tool for some beard detail <G>.

http://www.borg.com/~bloomqum/images/ADK%20hermit.jpg
(close I think, but notice the beard detail)

Keep on Carvin'
-Mike Bloomquist->

Wooden Dreams Woodcarving
http://www.borg.com/~bloomqum