[Woodcarver] WHOTCHACORV'N????

Mike Bloomquist m.bloomquist at verizon.net
Fri Dec 10 10:41:22 EST 2004

Just finished a Santa with a snowy owl and rabbits for a local collector.  We have this neat tradition that's developed (like Jan asking "whatchyacarvin'").  Around the beginning of October I get an e-mail or phone call from her wondering how her Santa is coming.  Well, I usually have only a vague reccollection of what we discussed the year before, and she never sets our specifics anyway, so the next few e-mails are gentle reminders to jog my memory.  Then, sometime after Yvonne and I finish our last craft show, my wife and I deliver the Santa, which I make sure it's boxed so her husband can wrap it as her Christmas "surprise".  She always requests that I bring any other Santas I have on hand and usually buys a less expensive one on the spot.  Yvonne and I then get a wonderful tour of her home which is fully decorated for Chritmas, with a minumum of four trees and various gatherings of Santas in deverent eras and styles.  Plastic Santas from the '60s, Santas with animals, an antique cupboard with rows and rows of Santas.  Her Santas from me have their own table now, and they almost outnumber the Harley Davidson series that her son-in-law has been gifting her.  The Display has familiar pieces in it, but the layout is always different from year to year.  This year she had a songbird tree which is my favorite so far.  Dried vines as garland... balls of dried hydrangia.. frosted pinecones... and many. many songbird ornaments, and hand painted birdhouse ornaments.

I sent her your way, Teri, for a Santa book from BH&G.  She had a magazine on her coffee table from a previous year, and Itold her about them not doing the softcover for the magazine stands this year.  I've already taken the risk of sending her to Teri's website before, but I guess she's loyal to the "local boy" <G>.

After that I have three cottonwood woodspirits on there way to Florida.  The client called them "tree whisperers" which I think is too kewl.  ...And now I'm squeezing in a butternut dragon mirror for my older daughter for her new apartment in Brooklyn.

Keep on Carvin', and Merry Christmas
-Mike B.->