[Woodcarver] Teaching Children to Carve?

Larry Odegard larryodegard at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 10 08:55:17 EST 2004

Hi Susan,

Great answer to the mother.  I am currently teaching
three children (2 sisters and a brother) ages 10 thru
14 and I think you covered the most important items in
your letter to the mother.

In my case it was a grandmother who urged the kids to
get lessons after they hounded her for tools.  I
accepted the challenge only if the grandmother would
also attend and help watch the use of sharp stuff.
She also now has some ability to watch over them at
home.

My first session dealt with safty, types of carving
and tools.
They were then told to go to Ivan's and pick up a good
knife and safty glove.
The second session was spent sharpening and honing.
The third session they will finally get to cut some
wood learning the basic knife strokes and making the 5
min. owl.
The sessions will never be over 1 1/2 hour in
duration.

Larry

--- Classic Carving Patterns