[Woodcarver] Fwd: Myths and Facts about the "Book"... with permission

Bill Judt bjudt at sasktel.net
Fri Dec 10 15:40:51 EST 2004

From: SantaCarvinLady at aol.com
Date: December 9, 2004 6:24:37 PM GMT-06:00
To: bjudt at sasktel.net
Subject: Myths and Facts about the "Book"

Hi Bill - will you pass this on if you're okay with it?   Thanks, Hugs.

I'm sorry I'm not around much lately, I keep getting stuck in piles of
woodchips....just like snowflakes, you know...each shaped a little
differently, they distract me easily :-)

I've gotten quite a few inquiries from folks around the list about the
Better Homes & Gardens Santa book that is available on my website.
I thought it might be a good idea to answer the more frequent questions
here, so that everyone who might be wondering knows what it is and,
more importantly, what it isn't.

The book available through me is the Better Homes & Gardens Santa
Collection (Volume 6).   It is a hardcover "coffee-table" type book,
published by BH&G annually for its subscribing collectors.   It is
specifically geared toward Santa collectors, and the articles in the
book feature santa artists, collectors, stories and other Santa-related
things.

It IS NOT a carving-related book - there's an article about my work,
and the work of Leo & Marilyn Smith, also carvers - the other
artists featured work in different media.    There are articles about
santa collectors - with photos of their collections, which of course
include quite a few carved santas among them.     But there are no
carving how-tos, no carving patterns, although there are a few
"patterns" for non-carving related craft santas - there are even cookie
recipes!  LOL    It's a Santa collector's dream book, and certainly can
be inspiring to a santa artist, but maybe not quite so helpful to a
carver looking for instructions or how-tos.

Anyway, just thought this explanation might be helpful - I don't want
anyone to spend good money and not get what they're expecting.    There
are some great santa carving books on the market chock-full of carving
ideas and patterns, and they don't cost nearly as much as this
collectors book.

Thanks, Bill,

Teri

"Santas for the Soul"