[Woodcarver] RE: Teaching Children to Carve?

Ramsey ron at carvedbyramsey.com
Sat Dec 11 22:02:13 EST 2004

I've taught carving in our local K-8 charter school for four years.
The first thing I teach is safety.  When using a gouge or similar
handled carving tool I make sure that they clamp their work securely
to the bench, always have two hands on the tool and never push the
tool towards themselves.  This way they can't cut themselves.  When
starting them on whittling I have them use a piece of wood with a
handle. In other words, an extra long piece that they carve and can
then cut the excess off later.  Carving only takes place beyond the
handle with the tool going away from them.  When they start to do
detailing on a whittled piece, I have them hold the piece from the
back so that all fingers are protected and then they draw the knife
toward them by  only allowing the the cut to be the distance that
their fingers can pull.  If my explanation is confusing E-mail me and
I will try to explain it more clearly.  If followed religiously.
these rules will prevent any injuries.  I've only had one student cut
herself and that happened because her carving worked loose from the
clamp and rather than re-clamping her work, she tried to steady it
with one hand while pushing the gouge with the other.
--
Ron Ramsey
http://www.carvedbyramsey.com

Be sure to look at the incredible nature inspired art jewelry hand
fabricated by my wife, Karen Olsen Ramsey.  It's worth the time to
take a look!
http://www.artjeweler.com