[Woodcarver] red cedar

Sylda sylda at kansas.net
Wed Dec 15 14:37:28 EST 2004

As you've all no doubt figured by now I'm not very acknowledgeable about
different kinds of wood.  Some have been talking about Red Cedar.  I know
there are several kinds of cedar.  We cut down a cedar tree (in Kansas) and
are in the process of cutting out a cedar hedge.  There is quite a bit of
"carving sized" wood in both; is it worth keeping?  How long does it take to
dry?  Can it be cut fresh?  What is the best method of drying?  So far we
have just stacked it in as large of pieces as we could cut it down in?  This
wood when freshly cut is light colored about 1/3 all the way around and then
very reddish 2/3 of the wood in the center.  What are your suggestions?
Thanks,
Sylda