[Woodcarver] Red Cedar

Sylda sylda at kansas.net
Thu Dec 16 18:10:08 EST 2004

George, your response to my questions about the cedar is great.  My husband
wasn't sure if we should keep it or not and I'm the pack rat.  Now I have
someone to back up my opinion.  I do lots of woodburning and want to try a
slice of it for that!!!

While we're on woods I have some more questions.  We have cut down a live
mulberry tree and I kept a slice about 3 inches thick and 18-20 inches
across.  I thought I could burn on it, but would be neat if I could relief
carve it.  We have a dead mulberry to take down and another live one that
the wind blew a limb off of --- are they worth saving?  And again wet or
dry? And how to dry?  Then I have the same situation with a native elm --
really big tree that a limb broke out of.  If these aren't good to carve do
you know how they would be to burn on?  Guess I'm really cheap -- I'd rather
use my own wood if I can -- I often buy wood with bark, so thought if I
could use mine I would.

George, you and the other experienced, acknowledgeable people on this list
have taught me lots and I sure do appreciate it.

Thanks take care & God Bless,
Sylda