[Woodcarver] Re: Eucalyptus

Edswood at aol.com Edswood at aol.com
Tue Dec 21 20:59:42 EST 2004

Peter,
  Just read the email in which you mention the casuarina species.  I live in
southwest Florida and the casuarina, (commonly called the Australian Pine
here) is considered an invasive species and is being destroyed. This destruction
leads to an easily obtained and cheap (free) species of wood for the carver.
My question is this,do you know if this  wood has any desirable carving
characteristics? I've avoided using any of the regular pine species found in this
area because of poor carving characteristics but I've haven't messed with the
casuarinas yet. Any info you can provide on this species would be appreciated.
Ed F.

I've been out of the carving circle for a while but am now back and going
strong. I just posted some of my carvings on www.picturetrail.com/edswood and
would appreciate some feedback on them from all you knowledgable carvers out
there. Thanks