[Woodcarver] Re: Eucalyptus

Karl Allison kallison at tampabay.rr.com
Wed Dec 22 14:09:11 EST 2004

>To make a DONATION to the Mailing List using PayPal OR regular mail,
>click this link: http://wwwoodcarver.com/WWWList/WWWList.html
>
>At 05:31 AM 22/12/2004, you wrote:
>>  it is sells under the name fishtail oak.

A google search brought up about 12,000 references to fishtail oak.
It is considered an Exotic (at least considered exotic in the US) and
is available in Australia.  It seems to be a moderately priced wood.
For a series of pictures (looks like fishscales) of Fishtale Oak go
to:
http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/oak,%20fishtail.htm

Bye the way, in reference to the Australian pine discussion, I
haven't carved that wood but back in the 1960's we had a very hard
freeze in Florida and a very large number of Australian Pine died
along our beaches as a result of that freeze.  It made great
fireplace wood, no smoking, long lasting and very little bad smell,
no sap as in real pine.  It was also quite hard, only had an axe back
then.

Karl Allison