[Woodcarver] Re: (was) Re: Eucalyptus NOW Fishtail Oak

Victor Hamburger VHamburg at bellatlantic.net
Wed Dec 22 17:06:01 EST 2004

> Paul and Diana Guraedy <pdguraedy at yahoo.com>
>
> I am not sure which of the eucalyptus woods I want. Acutally, I had seen
> it only once before and it went under the name fishtail oak.

Paul,

Try one of two approaches to find this.....First, I tried Google.com and
searched for Wood + "Fishtail oak". This got me a huge number of hits but each
of them did talk about or show pictures of fishtail oak, something I had never
heard of before myself.  You can browse the links to find pictures to see if
this is the stuff you want.  If it is, it is beautiful wood for a base, no doubt
about it!

The other choice, and a bit more direct, is to go to
http://www.woodfinder.com  and search for "fishtail oak" in the species search.
I jsut got 6 hits although others may carry it as well, I found Gilmer lumber to
have some, but the search on woodfinder didn't include them.  The stuff will be
pricey to buy, between shipping and cost of the wood itself, but for some uses I
am sure it is worth it.

Good luck with finding what you need!

	Vic H