[Woodcarver] Fishtail Oak

Watson Family watsonb at iinet.com.au
Wed Dec 22 19:36:02 EST 2004

Paul I am responding to your private email via the list because there seems
to be a lot of interest here.
The photo you sent is most probably casurina or 'Sheoak" as we call it
because it is a comercially available timber in Aust.  There is a small
chance that it could be one we call 'Silky Oak' which is a different
spieces ie. Grevillia Robusta  but that is only available from small
specialty sawmills. I would go for Sheoak but to get back to your original
request before all the discussion. You would be unlikely to find 6"x6"
section unless it was milled by request at least not in Aust. Perhaps you
should ask Ed to go out with his chainsaw and havest one of his weeds in
Florida.
It will stay quite stable if worked green provided the piece does not box
the heart.
Incidently the piece titled Motherhood on my web page has lace sheoak for
the base. This is a form of grain pattern that is particularly lovely
though it does not show to great advantage in my photo.
Perhaps if you save the picture and lighten it you would be able to see better.

All the best to you, your family and all the list members for a very merry
christmas and happy new year

Peter
Woodcarvings and Wildlife Sculptures
http://www.watsonwoodcarver.com