[Slowhand] Clapton's playing on this tour...

joeyjay at att.net joeyjay at att.net
Thu Oct 26 11:12:14 EDT 2006

Slowhanders,

I attended shows in NYC and Miami on this tour.

I found Clapton's attack to be torrid and his energy level elevated. He looked happy, relaxed and loose. What is the general consensus out there amongst fellow fans and guitar players? How does the playing on this tour stand up to other tours? If he has lost something like he claims, where is that manifesting itself ?

Absolutely loved his pairing with Derek. It lended so much authenticity to songs like Layla, Anyday and others. The CODA of Layla has seldom sounded better as it does with Derek in the mix. I hope they collaborate more in the future. God how I've missed Duane throughout the years !!! I can't help but think that Duane and Eric would have played and recorded together extensively had he lived. At least we have Derek now to carry on with the Allman Brothers and now to play with Eric !!!

Certainly cannot discount their virtuosity, but thought that both Tim and Doyle could have been subtracted without damaging the muscle of the band. Would have gladly substituted Bobby Whitlock <g> with the many D&D songs that were performed throughout the European and US tours.

Also thought Chris Stainton just played his butt off. Unlike Tim, his sound is so right for the songs performed. The pairing of Willie Weeks and Steve Jordon was powerful stuff.

LOL...at the Miami show I won a Madison Square Garden Cream program by rolling a six with dice at a classic rock DJ booth. Was a nice beginning to the evening.

One other thought. I loved Robert Cray's solo on Old Love in Miami He has a way of pulling you into his mood, little by little, and then all of a sudden at one point he has completely captured your senses. It's marvelous !!! I'll bet there are a whole lot of special versions of Old Love from this tour. As the co-writer, does Robert Cray perform Old Love on his own tours?

Well, lemme get back to work. Enough of me being a corporate time-stealing weazel...lol.

Cheers,
Jay