[Slowhand] Misc and Six Degrees...

David Hillman hillman at planet-torque.com
Sun Dec 3 01:07:09 EST 2006

Ed wrote...

> Where is Delta Nick?

He's reading, and we're running some tests to try and figure out why
some/all of his diatribes don't make it through. Oops, did I just call
Nick's posts 'diatribes' out-loud? ;)

AG wrote...

> With that said, I do feel obligated to point out that, in fact, (correct

> me if I misremembered), it was *you* Dave, who introduced me to the

> concept of "Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon" in a SD post, and therefore the

> EC > Peter Green connection is only one degree (Mayall), yes?

Could be, but I have a notoriously bad memory. I think we actually
played "Six Degrees of Clapton" on this list for awhile. Try to find a
professional musician who can't be connected to Eric in less than 6 steps.
He is the Kevin Bacon of the music world at this point.

The point is, I think the discussion remains a lot more fun without
any strict limits on the topic... except of course for abuse. At least
until it gets to a point where the original focus of the list is lost, but
we're nowhere near that.

Personally, I don't listen to much new music, but what little I do, is
largely because someone on this list recommended it in a six-degrees
sort of way. I'd have otherwise never heard of it. I don't think that's
a bad thing, at all.

Jeff E says...

> This points up the fact that the Digest as it stands is (I say this

> with no malice whatsoever) a bit of a technological dinosaur.

It is, and for good reason. Despite being capable of using a
computer, I'm a Luddite, basically. I own and use several film cameras,
and stopped trading music when tapes stopped being used. Those shiny
discs frighten and confuse me ;) Actually, the good reason(s) for this
format are some of those previously mentioned, but particularly, for a
low-volume/high-content-ratio subject, a push format works a lot better
than a pull. I don't think that will ever change.

--
David Hillman