[Slowhand] That crappy Pilgrim album

Shanahan mowdamowda at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 14 03:21:39 EST 2006

First, apologies if this turns up twice.

I posted the first from work and am a little doubtful it will land.

Anyway as I was saying...........

A couple of days ago I downloaded from DAD, Play With Fire Revisited.

1991 BBC broadcast from the Albert Hall.

I've played it a few times and, to me, it seems to have a bit more punch to
it (performance not recording) than other boots from these years ('89 -
'92).

In fact, I enjoyed it.

This surprised me as August and Journeyman have never really grabbed me as
other EC releases have.

Then I had a 'mini-epiphany', quickly followed by another:

I REALLY like Pilgrim, in fact I put it up there in ECs top 5 of all-time.

I couldn't give two hoots whether Climie produced or co-wrote, whether
there's a drum machine or real drums, if he's using a Gibson or Fender.

To me it just sounds fantastic and I love the way he plays and sings on this
and the depth of his song writing.

The general consensus is that it's a crap album, but live, the songs are
okay.

I had suggested to AG, well before his lost years, that perhaps there could
be a LIVE Pilgrim album so he could show me the error of my ways.

OKAY:

Everyone says that the Pilgrim songs are better live than the album

Mini-epiphnay 1:

Is there ANY Clapton related studio LP release that is better than the live
performances?

Mini-epiphany 2:

Am I liking Clapton for all the wrong reasons?

Tone