[game_preservation] Game preservation videos?

Andrew Armstrong andrew at aarmstrong.org
Sat Aug 4 18:27:56 EDT 2007

Hey all,

I'll happily wait for any further responses on my other questions, but
recently thought about preserving historical games a bit more.

Basically, I was wondering if there was any known effort, not just to
save the software, but to provide videos or media with people playing
the game, or explanations of the game, or if it was a good idea...let me
explain further what I mean.

What I mean, is when someone says "Do you remember ... which had ..." or
"This should be more like ..." you don't have to physically play it to
know what they mean. Game reviews do this /partially/, although only
exist for very recent games. Speed runs also show a game, obviously
played the fastest way possible.

This goes hand in hand with text descriptions of games, but text
descriptions of a interactive medium is pretty difficult, which is where
video could help.

To show how something was is much easier in video - especially if videos
can be made of different parts of the game. I also wonder if it would be
good to have people "share their thoughts" on what are deemed to be
important games for them (or that have something they want to comment on
as good or bad), while playing them! videoing their responses and what
happens on the screen at the same time, allowing a kind of review and
look at what is done in a game by an authoritative source. A critical
view of a game which isn't by a game journalist, which never seem really
impartial, would be good.

Just an idea, but does it have any merit? (Quick yes or no would do ;) I
was just wondering). If someone has done or started this already, got
any links or sources?

Andrew