[game_preservation] Game preservation videos?

Mike Melanson mike at multimedia.cx
Sat Aug 4 18:35:20 EDT 2007

Andrew Armstrong wrote:

> Just an idea, but does it have any merit? (Quick yes or no would do ;) I

> was just wondering). If someone has done or started this already, got

> any links or sources?

Are you thinking along the lines of pure video from a game, such as the
stuff output from an emulator or a video capture device? Or are you
thinking about a video camera capturing a gamer play a game, perhaps as
he comments about it?

I am interested in the former approach, mostly because I'm obsessive
about multimedia technology (see my domain name). After I discovered
speed run videos a few years ago, I started hypothesizing about a
lossless video codec optimized for older video game systems. The effort
was called PAVC and I wrote about my experiments on my blog:

http://multimedia.cx/eggs/category/pavc/

--
-Mike Melanson