[game_preservation] Library of Congress funds project for game preservation

Jerome McDonough jmcdonou at uiuc.edu
Mon Aug 6 17:01:23 EDT 2007

I guess I should delurk here and let people know that yes, there is
someone from Illinois on the list.
My name's Jerome McDonough; I'm a professor at the UIUC Graduate
School of Library & Information
Science and I'll be serving as the PI for the Preserving Virtual
Worlds project.

We're extremely excited about this project at Illinois, since it
allows us to start trying to tackle
some of the thornier problems in the digital preservation realm,
including preserving executable content,
preserving digital content that relies on highly-specialized
hardware, and trying to determine how best
to identify and preserve the 'contextualizing' information necessary
to understand a game and its
use/role that isn't actually part of the game itself. I can
understand why people might not be
particularly worried about preserving Second Life at this point, but
obviously Second Life presents
preservation challenges, both technical and social, that a game like
Space Wars does not.

Because there are a fair number of nasty and intractable issues
involved in preserving games
and electronic literature (the other non-game side of the project),
we are trying to focus on some
realistic goals within the project's time frame, including
identifying the full range of information we
feel will be needed for long-term preservation and management of
games and electronic literature,
investigating the feasibility/costs of obtaining some of that
information (many digital preservation
projects have had problems with the costs of obtaining intellectual
property permissions needed
to preserve content, even in cases where the IP holder was willing
to provide a license for free),
and experimenting with trying to actually ingest some of the more
important games and electronic
literature into preservation repositories at some of our universities.

On the UK side, it might be worth a quick note to Adam Farquhar at
the British Library about longer-term
plans for the PLANETS project. I know they are very much focusing on
handling more traditional library
content at the moment, but the BL team is a smart bunch and I suspect
they are already worried
about executable content and what its preservation might mean for them.