[game_preservation] Library of Congress funds project for game preservation

Andrew Armstrong andrew at aarmstrong.org
Mon Aug 6 17:40:25 EDT 2007

Thanks for Delurking Jerome, worth knowing all that information. It'll
be interested in seeing what the efforts produce, it'd be great if you
could keep us posted (I am sure a website will appear somewhere :) ).

Second Life is an interesting choice, and I'll agree its got its own
problems, therefore, worth looking at, so I'd especially think it worth
seeing what comes from that part.

Jerome McDonough wrote:

> On the UK side, it might be worth a quick note to Adam Farquhar at the

> British Library about longer-term

> plans for the PLANETS project. I know they are very much focusing on

> handling more traditional library

> content at the moment, but the BL team is a smart bunch and I suspect

> they are already worried

> about executable content and what its preservation might mean for them.

Thanks a lot for information on this PLANETs project
<http://www.planets-project.eu/> (since I am new to the game, as it
were) - I will see if I can contact Adam, from a quick google search
this page <http://www.linkedin.com/pub/0/95/445> was about the best I
could find, so I'll give it a shot. It'll be interesting to know what
the British Library might be doing since I might be able to practically
help. They seem to have their heads screwed on regarding digital media
and DRM, copyrights as best I can remember too.

Andrew