[game_preservation] New Year's Greeting and Preservation SIG news

Simon Carless simon at archive.org
Sat Jan 6 11:53:17 EST 2007

Hurray!

Nice to see you starting things up again, Henry. I think you may have
the chops to get things going properly! Also, I strongly feel that
university faculty, professors, and researchers should be the core of
this preservation group for one simple reason - they are the ones likely
to actually HAVE TIME to work on this problem, esp. if funding can be
finagled. (I'm not saying you lay around with a mojito, but things like
the Machinima archive and the Cabrinety Collection are more directly
related to your day job, and if you get funding for the digital
preservation, all the better!)

One thing I wanted to mention before I forgot - my version of the
Preservation SIG page, which got wiped over (make preservation joke
here!) has a few useful links on it that someone might want to include
on the sidebar of the blog or similar:

http://web.archive.org/web/20050309001205/www.igda.org/preservation/

I would like to see the NDIIPP proposal and Expression Of Interest
posted, yep - also, who else is involved with it, and are they also on
this mailing list?

Something else I want to mention is that the Internet Archive managed
again to get the DMCA exemption passed about archiving old software with
access protection:

http://www.copyright.gov/1201/

'Computer programs and video games distributed in formats that have
become obsolete and that require the original media or hardware as a
condition of access, when circumvention is accomplished for the purpose
of preservation or archival reproduction of published digital works by a
library or archive. A format shall be considered obsolete if the machine
or system necessary to render perceptible a work stored in that format
is no longer manufactured or is no longer reasonably available in the
commercial marketplace.'

This is useful for obvious reasons, but the Archive has not had much
traction on working in this area since my first experiments, and since I
no longer have time to work there, they've mainly been leveraging the
Softpres.org work as examples, I think. The Softpres.org guys seem
pretty busy with real-life work, too. So I really _do_ think that grant
funding is the only way to get going on a lot of this time-intensive
stuff nowadays. I believe that Brewster @ the Archive would be open to
helping fund some software preservation efforts, probably in-house at
the Archive, but his interest is in both software _and_ games - and
probably more software. The exemption again runs out in 3 years and has
to be proved again.

The Speed Runs guys are still doing sterling work in terms of how to
play through new _and_ old games swiftly in video format -
http://www.archive.org/details/speed_runs - I think in a few years, this
is going to be a totally great resource, incidentally, because it
included footage of old games and lots of info on tactics that people
will quickly forget.

Also, I know that the Computer History Museum is still cracking on with
work, but I don't know that any of it is in the game field. Also their
software curator changed recently.

Is the maintainer of the Game On exhibition on this list? He probably
should be if not, I've chatted to him before, nice guy! It's at the
Science Museum in London right now:
http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/exhibitions/gameon/

There's my braindump for the morning! I'll post about the SIG on our
editor blog, GameSetWatch.com - hopefully that'll get some more people
interested.

Regards,
Simon.
[Editorial Director, Game Developer magazine, Gamasutra.com;
Chairman, Independent Games Festival.]
http://www.mono211.com/ffwd