[game_preservation] The FreeBase database project

Mike Melanson mike at multimedia.cx
Wed Sep 5 20:32:14 EDT 2007

Andrew Armstrong wrote:

> Hopefully will become a decent filled out database in time (there are

> lots and lots of entries, but not all the data is there yet). Since I'm

> not exactly a knowledgeable database guy or archivist, so not sure how

> useful the current data or fields are, but it looks like some pretty

> good things can be done with the filled out data, and good structured

> projects like this can help searching for that bit of information that's

> needed, even if MobyGames is currently a key database. Oddly enough,

> MobyGames misses games this project has - such as the original Pong, due

> to its structure (ie; not having arcade games), so I am sure both can be

> useful at the same time.

I still stand by MobyGames. It's not hard to find lists upon lists of
raw game titles out there, and that's effectively what a lot of game
sites feature in the classic games department. But it's also not that
interesting for historical purposes.

For my part, I have been working on a project to reconcile those huge
game lists with the data in MobyGames. This is in line with a conscious
effort to fill in the gaps in MobyGames' knowledge. I am thinking of
ways to maintain the missing games lists online (and wondering if the MG
people -- collectively, "The Man" -- even wants me to :) ).

--
-Mike Melanson