[game_preservation] Game developers memorial page?

Henry Lowood lowood at stanford.edu
Thu Feb 7 12:20:52 EST 2008

Andrew,

Ok, this will be on the agenda then.

Off topic but: there are a few memorial pages out there for
well-known players of various games, some of which include replay
files of their games. These are interesting documents, and I'm going
to be talking about replaying a DOOM game I found this way at a
workshop on campus next week about the disappearance of virtual worlds.

Henry

At 07:15 AM 2/7/2008, Andrew Armstrong wrote:

>Right, the IGDA general preservation email will be the contact point

>for this, until we can sort otherwise. If you are able to be the

>primary contact, I'll see if I can get me and Henry CCed in so we

>don't miss anything and can help out.

>Thanks both for the updates, and we will discuss it at GDC and make

>sure that IGDA people know of it at least (I'll try not to be morbid

>about it - I expect off-handedly saying "We're creating, you know,

>death pages, memorials, in case you die!!!" is not an apt way to

>start discussion). I can get an example complete by then, although

>it will lack the additional comments that of course will be a focal

>point of the project.

>Andrew

>Captain Commando wrote:

>>Henry,

>>Like I told Andrew, I wouldn't mind being contact, but A. I need a

>>better contact e-mail and B. I need to renew my IGDA membership,

>>two things that likely won't get fixed, at least until late Feb. :)

>>-Devin

>>On Feb 6, 2008 11:30 PM, Henry Lowood <lowood at stanford.edu

>><mailto:lowood at stanford.edu>> wrote:

>> Andrew,

>> I don't mind being the contact for now. I think it would be

>> great to bring this up as a discussion point at GDC. Maybe

>> someone else would like to be involved and would be willing to

>> serve as a contact. Inclusivity is good as far as I am concerned.

>> A general point here: Everyone should feel free to bring ideas

>> about projects like this, things that we can help with via IGDA

>> and would serve not just preservation, but also historical memory.

>> Henry

>> At 06:33 PM 2/6/2008, Andrew Armstrong wrote:

>>> Heh, I forgot to send this to the group. It now has been! Henry;

>>> there was a brief question in there about email setups, and the

>>> rest of the group; any suggestions, offers of help or knowledge

>>> of memorial pages are very much welcome. Spread the word too;

>>> this should not be something that is kept in the dark!

>>> And I'll use some info from the Metroid database as a base for

>>> some test pages at least. We'll wait until after GDC to get it

>>> properly started, but it'd be nice to get some basics down

>>> (templates, page layouts, required content) so it was ready

>>> before then.

>>> Thanks,

>>> Andrew

>>> game_preservation mailing list

>>> game_preservation at igda.org <mailto:game_preservation at igda.org>

>> Henry Lowood

>> Curator for History of Science & Technology Collections;

>> Film & Media Collections

>> HRG, Green Library

>> 557 Escondido Mall, Stanford University Libraries

>> Stanford CA 94305-6004 USA

>> lowood at stanford.edu <mailto:lowood at stanford.edu>; 650-723-4602

>>--

>>The sleep of Reason produces monsters.