[game_preservation] Project Discussion: Collectors Information

Rachel "Sheepy" Donahue donahrm at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 09:35:47 EST 2009

This seems like a fairly good time to jump in and tell everyone about a
survey I plan to do among the user community and gaming industry over the
next couple of months (for the Preserving Virtual Worlds project, and an
archives course I'm taking). I'm still revising the questions to make them
friendlier to non-archivists, so any input is welcome! I'd also be very,
very appreciative if anyone has any ideas on how to get the survey (once
it is in final form and approved to go out by my university's review
board) to the people who actually work for game companies.

Questions for Industry

1. Does your company have an established archives/records management
program?
* Yes
* No
* If yes, any details you would like to share? (Free text)
2. Does the archives/records management program include :
* Software design materials (pre-release versions, sketchbooks,
etc)
* Business records (Payroll, meeting minutes, etc)
* Both
* Design but not business
* Business but not design
3. If not, have you considered establishing one?
* Yes
* No
* If yes, any details you would like to share? (Free text)
4. Have you had any formal archival training?
* Yes
* No
* If yes, what form did that education take? (Free text)
5. Are you a member of any professional organizations?
* Yes
* No
* If yes, which ones? (Free text)
6. How long have you worked for the company?
* 0-6 month
* 1-3 years
* 4-6 years
* 7-10 years
* More than 10 years
7. How large is your staff?
* I am the staff
* 1-10
* 10-20
* More than 20
8. Does your company use records schedules for the design portion of
the business?
* Yes
* No
* If yes, any details you would like to share? (Free text)
9. Do your programmers use an automated version control system?
* Yes
* No
* Which one? (Free text)
10. What are your main records series/groupings? (free text)
11. What materials are included in the set of records pertaining to a
particular game?
* Design documents of all kinds
* Development-related correspondence
* Artwork, such as conceptual art, sketches and storyboards
* Prototype versions of games
* Game development source code, assets, tools, and the resulting
binary executables
* Machinima and other recordings of gameplay
* Development-related maps (shadow maps, influence maps, texture
maps, etc.)
* Scheduling/planning documents
* Devoloper/Publisher budgets, forecasting, market research, and
other business-related documentation
* Other documentation related to the developer/publisher
relationship
* Company newsletters and circulars
* Advertising and marketing materials, especially pieces used
for unique, one-time purposes
* Press kits and demos
* Legal documentation
* Books on game design, development, and game theory
* Source materials (i.e., writings, film, art, etc. that
inspired a game)
* Powerpoint presentations for conferences and meetings
* Game magazines, including clippings files
* Records from groups, organizations, and individuals who are
associated with the videogame industry, but are not involved in game
development
12.

13. Who is allowed to access the archives?
* All staff
* All staff and the public
* People with approved requests
* If (3), please describe the approval process
14. How do you determine what is permanent and what is temporary? Are
games that don't make it to market included in the archives? (free text)
15. Are all versions of a game scheduled as permanent, or only the final
product?
* All versions
* Major revisions
* Final product
16. Has or would your company ever consider(ed) transferring records to
a university or other institution to make them available to the public?
* Yes
* No
* Where/other details (Free text)
17. What software preservation tactics do you take with archived copies
of software? (check all that apply)
* Simple bit-stream level preservation in the original format
* Processed upon ingest into preservation format: (Free text for
format description)
* Transformed on demand (E.g. if the game is needed for a
"classic hits" release)
* Other: (Free text)
18. Do you practice emulation, migration, or a combination of the two?
* Emulation
* Migration
* Both
* Details: (Free text)
19. Are files kept on external magnetic or optical media, or in
networked storage? What type of media/storage set up?
* Saved on networked hard disk
* Saved on solitary hard disk
* Saved on external magnetic media
* Saved on optical media
* Other or a combination, please describe:
20. What do you use to describe game-related records? (E.g. EAD, an
in-house thesaurus, etc) (Free text)
21. What level and type of metadata do you create and maintain? What
portion of it is generated manually vs automatically? (this could probably
be broken down into a few more questions...)
22. Would you be willing to answer some follow-up questions and/or would
your company be interested in working with an academic project exploring
the preservation of video games?
* Yes
* No

If yes, please provide contact information or email Rachel Donahue,
donahrm at umd.edu

Questions for Community

1. What classic game systems interest you?
2. Do you own the original consoles for the systems that interest you?
3. Do you emulate the systems that interest you? (E.g. ZSNES, Stella,
AppleWin)
4. Do you play classic games on modern systems? (E.g. Virtual Console,
Namco Museum releases, etc).
5. If you answered yes to question 5, how does the game-play experience
compare to the original console?
6. What gaming websites do you regularly visit?
* MobyGames
* Home of the Underdogs
* GameFAQS.com
* GameSpot
* IGN
* Other (Please list):
7. What gaming websites do you contribute to? (E.g. Providing game
data, writing articles, etc.)
* MobyGames
* Home of the Underdogs
* GameFAQS.com
* GameSpot
* IGN
* Other (Please list):
8. Have you ever participated in preservation activities (activities
that will ensure the games are playable into the future) for games?
* Written/contributed to an emulator
* Ported a game
* Released a previously unreleased game
* Imaged disks
* Restored/refurbished hardware
9. Have you ever remixed a game or added your own content? (E.G.
building custom levels, replacing sprites, editing a game to make
something new like the Mystery House Taken Over project)
10. What aspects of a game do you think are most important to preserve?
(Check all that apply, enter additional aspects in the free text field.)
* Graphic content
* Color fidelity (E.g. if something was originally played as
white text/sprites on a black field, is it ok to present it as black
text/sprites on a white field?)
* Text content
* Sound
* Timing (Think old adventure games, here -- is system lag part
of the experience?)
* Method of user input (keyboard, controller, etc)
* Other (free text)

Thanks!

Rachel Donahue
Graduate Assistant
Maryland Institute for Technology in the Humanities
University of Maryland, College Park
College Park, MD