[game_preservation] KEEP - major European research project on emulation starts

Andrew Armstrong andrew at aarmstrong.org
Fri Feb 6 12:46:39 EST 2009

A website sounds good, I'll look forward to it :) we'll help with
promotion in the area as much as the IGDA can, every little helps no doubt.

Andrew

Andreas Lange wrote:

> Andrew Armstrong schrieb:

>> Yeah, brilliant news. I'll put it on the blog and site projects

>> listings.

> Great, thanks!

>> Is there any way the SIG or members can help? (This goes for other

>> projects remember guys, bring them up if you think we can help). It's

>> a big project (3 years! millions of euros!) as well, wow. Do you know

>> if anything will be available online (about progress perhaps), or

>> perhaps would the work be made available to worldwide organisations

>> to provide access at least to academics and historians? :)

> Yes, we will have a project homepage, where the progress will be

> available. Next week is the kick-off meeting in Paris, where we will

> talk about it. I let you know, when the site is online.

> For the success of the project it will be mandatory, that its

> existence and results are well known, specially into the emulation

> community. Because our aim is, to establish an universal globally

> accepted preservation layer for emulation programms for the next

> decades, the question how the emulation community could be involved in

> this effort seems crucical for me. It would help very much, if they

> take up our approach and port their emulators to the new virtual machine.

> On the other hand it is also very important, that the game industry

> knows about the project. In spite I am aware, that some of the

> industry players still have some problems with emulation, the time is

> more than ripe to bring all together at one table (what is a main

> focus of this SIC anyway). The set up of KEEP, which is carried out by

> established memory institutions, should be strong argument for the

> industry to become an active player in that process.

> So for the moment it would be just great to spread the news.

> Andreas

>> Since I don't own old systems, this certainly is interesting to me

>> anyway, if it leads to some good game and computer emulation.

>> Andrew

>> Vowell, Zach wrote:

>>> Andreas,

>>> This is fantastic news, very excited to see such a major initiative

>>> going in this direction. A professor here at the Univ. of Texas has

>>> often championed the idea of harnessing game emulation technology

>>> for wider digital preservation uses, and it's great to see it

>>> actually happening. And I think you're absolutely right about this

>>> project's opportunity to spread awareness of game preservation to a

>>> larger audience.

>>> Best of luck and I look forward to hearing more as things progress.

>>> --

>>> Zach Vowell

>>> Archivist, UT Videogame Archive

>>> The Dolph Briscoe Center for American History

>>> 512.495.4405

>>> http://www.utvideogamearchive.org

>>> wrote:

>>> Dear All,

>>> I am glad to announce, that a major European research project,

>>> which is

>>> related to the preservation of complex digital artefacts, has just

>>> started. KEEP (Keeping Emulation Environments Portable) is funded

>>> by the

>>> European Community with 3,15 Mio. Euro will go on from now for

>>> three

>>> years. Aim of the project is to utilize the preservation tools,

>>> which

>>> are mainly created in the gamer community, for a broader range of

>>> users

>>> and purposes. The impact of the project lies also in the

>>> structure of

>>> the consortium itself: for the first time traditional memory

>>> institutions like the national libraries of France, Germany and

>>> Netherlands and researchers with a background in humanitities

>>> (University of Portsmouth) come together with organisations

>>> specialized

>>> in games resp. their preservation (Computer Game Museum, European

>>> Games

>>> Developer Federation ) within a common research effort in such a

>>> scale.

>>> I am pretty sure, that we will be able to boost the awareness of

>>> the

>>> need to preserve the gaming culture on that basis and of course

>>> provide

>>> http://www.computerspielemuseum.de/index.php?lg=en=News=02:00:00=186

>>> <http://www.computerspielemuseum.de/index.php?lg=en&main=News&site=02:00:00&id=186>

>>> <http://www.computerspielemuseum.de/index.php?lg=en&main=News&site=02:00:00&id=186>

>>> I do this announcement also on behalf of Dan Pinchbeck from the

>>> University Portsmouth, who is involved in KEEP, too and who

>>> subscribed

>>> the SIC recently.

>>> @ Dan: Now it's time to introduce yourself,

>>> ;) Andreas

>>> Andreas Lange

>>> - Direktor -

>>> Computerspiele Museum (im fjs e.V.)

>>> www.computerspielemuseum.de

>>> Marchlewskistr. 27, D-10243 Berlin (Germany)