[game_preservation] Preservation of analogue game media

Kieron Wilkinson lists at softpres.org
Sat Feb 7 05:25:24 EST 2009

Hello all,

I'd quite like to ask a question of those working in libraries and
archives who are actively preserving games provided on floppy disks.
Is anyone here doing this? I guess this is going to become relevent to
the KEEP project (excellent news Andreas!), as it gets going.

I'm really just wanting to get some feedback on how this is currently
being done. Mainly I'm wondering what kind of hardware and software
you are using to do it? It would be interesting to find out if there
are any commonly-used approaches.

I don't want to pre-empt the discussion too much, but there does seem
to be a number of common technical problems in preserving game media.
Ultimately I'd like to start a discussion on whether there could ever
be an accepted standard solution that could cover everything so nobody
needed to worry about it again... (well, I'm sure it would certainly
save pain for everyone)

Kieron Wilkinson

P.S. I do apologise for not being around for quite a while. I had some
health issues shortly after taking over from Simon, and only sparingly
touched a computer for quite some time (I'm fine now).