[game_preservation] Preservation of analogue game media

Kieron Wilkinson lists at softpres.org
Fri Feb 13 18:05:42 EST 2009

Since I have been away for a while, I was trying to get a feel for how
things have changed, and I thought this was a good place to start. I
guess there doesn't seem to be many people here involved with that
side of things, perhaps it is still very much an ad-hoc process.

As I said before, there does seem to be a number of common technical
problems in preserving game media. Here are the ones I can think of:

1) Devices required to read the disks
2) The different and custom disk formats in use (I don't mean the
physical disk format here, but how the software data is structured on
the disk)
3) The presence of any disk-based copy protection (the whole purpose
of which is to hide itself)
4) Degradation of original disks, leading to corrupted reads
5) Authenticity (ensuring disks are original and unmodified)

I'd like to cover these points as two distinct problems...

a) Reading the disks in the first place (points 1, 2 and 3).
b) Knowing that what you have read is preservable (points 4 and 5, but
also involves 2 and 3).

I don't want to go into too much detail in one post, so I will leave
it at this for now, and follow up this two issues separately later.

If anyone has any comments on any of this, please feel free to chime
in with your thoughts.
Kieron

Thanks for citing the SPS website Devin. :)