[game_preservation] CFP: Curatorship and exhibition of gaming history (Next Gen; deadline Aug 1)

Melanie Swalwell melanie.swalwell at flinders.edu.au
Fri Jul 17 20:50:07 EDT 2009

Christian McCrea, one of the editors of the issue, is on the list :)

Rachel "Sheepy" Donahue wrote:

> I'm somewhat amused that you replied exactly while I was reading the CFP.

> If the deadline weren't 8/1, I'd be tempted.

> On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 14:02:11 -0400, Andrew Armstrong

> <andrew at aarmstrong.org> wrote:

>> Neat, so, will someone from this list be contributing then? :)

>> Andrew

>> Devin Monnens wrote:

>>> Forwarded from Beth A Lameman

>>> I noticed that Eludamos

>>> has a section on "Curatorship and exhibition of gaming history --

>>> problems, opportunities, practices" in its upcoming Special Issue

>>> aka Beth A. Dillon

>>> McCrea.

>>> Console gaming has already had more than one 'Next Generation'. PC

>>> gamers feverishly upgrade their rigs with each new state of the art

>>> FPS. Periodisation is often a major preoccupation for critics and

>>> publics interested in other media, but in the case of videogames the

>>> rapid pace of technical development seems to set the agenda of

>>> generational change. Games are caught up, culturally as well as

>>> aesthetically and technically, in their own futurism: each generation

>>> claims to be both anticipation and fulfillment of an imagined horizon

>>> of experience. Simultaneously, older technologies find new uses and

>>> contexts within the very conditions of their supposed obsolescence.

>>> Gaming is constantly speculating on its own future and recalling its

>>> past in order to coordinate a restless present. Just how coherent are

>>> gaming's generations, and is the adoption of such classifications from

>>> the wider culture useful or counter-productive for academic game

>>> studies?

>>> http://www.eludamos.org. Submissions for "Next Gen" should go to the

>>> Perspectives section of the site.

>>> Important dates

>>> 1st of August: submission deadline for the upcoming regular issue of

>>> Eludamos, as well as the special issue "Next Gen". Submissions should

>>> be full papers plus abstracts and bio.

>>> 25th of Oct. 2009: publication date

>>> www.deserthat.com <http://www.deserthat.com>

>>> The sleep of Reason produces monsters.