[game_preservation] Windows 7 and Virtual PC XP

Andrew Armstrong andrew at aarmstrong.org
Sat Jul 25 15:52:57 EDT 2009

Yeah, sounds like some interesting information since, well, I'm sure I
can get my old DOS disks working in Virtual PC or somesuch, which with
what the power is on desktops right now, should be better then DOSBox -
as it'd not emulate, but just virtualise the OS.

Shame that > Vista DOS is basically nil then. XP had no DOS really, so
it'd not be too good for that. I was more referring to XP-only items -
not that many exist, but a few games just are Vista-incompatible due to
hardcoding problems and strange workarounds.

Andrew

Dan Pinchbeck wrote:

> Hi Henry

> That data sounds extremely interesting - I think our emulator people may be very keen to see it - do you know if it's public, or do you have a contact?

> Thanks

> Dan

> Dr Dan Pinchbeck

> Advanced Games Research Group

> School of Creative Technologies

> University of Portsmouth, UK

> www.thechineseroom.co.uk

> www.keep.port.ac.uk

> Devin,

> Not as part of the preservation project's data-gathering. It's possible

> that the RIT group is working in this area. The RIT data that I have

> seen is a qualitative grid of performance tests.

> Henry

> Devin Monnens wrote:

>> Henry,

>> Has there been any discussion in terms of universal virtual computers

>> (UVCs) and how you can create a universal test code to determine how

>> accurately the emulator is performing in relation to the original

>> hardware?

>> -Devin

>> On Sat, Jul 25, 2009 at 11:59 AM, Henry Lowood <lowood at stanford.edu

>> <mailto:lowood at stanford.edu>> wrote:

>> Andrew,

>> the RIT team that is part of our Library of Congress has been

>> testing not XP, but DOS compatibility, as we work on preservation

>> of DOOM (among other games). Andy Phelps from the RIT team

>> concludes, "DOSBox on Win7 is the best we can get on the modern

>> OS's." There were still issues with drivers. I'm not sure how

>> much you can conclude from this about XP, but it does address

>> early games.

>> Henry

>> Andrew Armstrong wrote:

>>> So I've pre-ordered Windows 7 so it's not rediculously-expensive,

>>> instead just man-thats-expensive. It does, it says, come with a

>>> virtual way of running apps in an XP environment (I got the Pro

>>> or whatever version, but not just for this).

>>> I was wondering, since I don't have the RC installed, does this

>>> work at all for any kind of games, or is it purely just the XP

>>> API with no real driver support? I know VirtualPC which you can

>>> run OS's off is basically like running on a stripped down box

>>> with a generic CPU, some RAM and a hard drive, but no graphics or

>>> sound support to speak of. I don't know if it is the same way of

>>> doing it, simply more built-in to the OS?

>>> I just know some games won't work with 7 (like Vista, since they

>>> run a very similar OS model), and virtulising XP might be a cure

>>> for that, but only if there is hardware support in it.

>>> I think once I research this a bit more (since as on XP now, I

>>> have very few problems running older games) I'll get digging into

>>> WINE and also emulator projects (DOSBox is obvious, others that

>>> are starting to provide hardware support or 3d emulation are

>>> worth looking at too) and might gather some resources for our

>>> list (bibliography website still pending ;) ). If anyone has a

>>> list of these it'd be welcome, before I get a new PC and slam

>>> into the ground running on Vista SP3, I mean, Windows 7 ;)

>>> Thanks!

>>> Andrew