[game_preservation] iPhone Game Preservation

Andrew Armstrong andrew at aarmstrong.org
Tue Jul 28 12:29:02 EDT 2009

Rachel "Sheepy" Donahue wrote:

> Because what good is having a backup copy of a game, if you can't play

> it?

I don't think we're even near this stage yet. All the archives do have
some form of working consoles, but not nearly everything is covered :)
Maybe emulation stuff is more important if this is the main question, hehe.

> For now the community continues to remain our savior

For certain, popular things, yep. If this list is representative of the
preservatoinists, archivists or museum runners (and it isn't, but I'm
trying to get people on it as and when I can), talk about a "handful".
The community is a good saviour, I just wish some of their sites were
easier to use (or less political, such as Wikipedia).

Invaluable information however. ROM dumps also prove the software is
obtainable off hardware, even if that is the legally dubiousness you
mean :) The authenticity of this is problematic - hardware wise
especially, and is for me the main sticking point. Playing the original
Super Mario Bros on anything but a NES controller is a bit "wrong", as
it is trying to play Duck Hunt without the light gun! :)

I also agree with Devin, and also someone else who say that a lot, Jason
Scott, that at the moment preserving everything (just having the
physical device, the software copy or whatever) is the first step
(however much that physically amounts to is another thing) - although
yeah, selection is important for some bits (you can't store 1000 of each
console!). There is no way to know what is important, since even the
closest comparison - film - has only in the last decade really pushed
their own preservation (film registry, archives, and of course now the
knowledge that all that early lost film was important!).

> And then, as I think came up with the Nintendo Seal of Authority line

> of thinking (which I just skimmed!), we have the whole world of apps

> that only work on jailbroken iPhones -- some of which are quite

> revolutionary!

Interesting clash there with the legal boundaries, although I'd admit as
much for any platform - especially more recently, even the locked down
ones have some software, cracking, whatever that is interesting and
revolutionary, or just have good games made for free, heh.

I think the main interesting point to discuss regarding digital things
is always the move of data - the fact that consoles (especially now) are
tied incredibly to two single points of failure (a specific, locked down
console, and a single data disk or hard drive with data on). Unlike
film, which has no issues once permission is granted to get from film to
digital, or books which can be scanned, the digital data for games is a
bit more locked down - especially behind legal, if not always physical
barriers, and has much more limited life spans compared to a book
(potentially hundreds of years) and film (decades or longer, depending
on the film type) since there is bit rot in the hardware, which also
degrades just by use. Luckily the white paper brings this up, might need
more then that though to convince some I'd guess.

Fascinating though the mobile space, and as an extension what is
"acceptable to preserve" or what we even want to. Luckily not at that
stage just yet :)

Andrew