[game_preservation] iPhone Game Preservation

Henry Lowood lowood at stanford.edu
Tue Jul 28 13:57:19 EDT 2009

Andrew, regarding ...

Andrew Armstrong wrote:

> Unlike film, which has no issues once permission is granted to get

> from film to digital ...

I wish that were true. Transfer from film to digital is incredibly
expensive right now, and there are some major issues, primarily
technical and financial. Handling film, esp. nitrate film, is
non-trivial. Storage costs, another issue, as current digital film
technologies result in absolutely massive files. I believe one of the
NDIIPP projects is working in in this area. At Stanford, we had to turn
down a collection last year, because digitization costs were estimated
at around $15 million.

Henry

--
Henry Lowood, Ph.D.
Curator for History of Science & Technology Collections;