[game_preservation] iPhone Game Preservation

Andrew Armstrong andrew at aarmstrong.org
Wed Jul 29 04:18:56 EDT 2009

Not cheap, but they do have a process! Which can only get cheaper to do
(and considering the budgets of films compared to games, I am glad
they're investing some money to start this). The actual size is going to
be ridiculous, I know that much just from digitising 1080p material, to
gigabytes per tape :)

Unlike games, where the best practice to archive something is, under the
DMCA, to "Get a few copies of the original media and hope they don't go
wrong", which isn't as expensive but certainly needs work :) Without any
legal backup, the fact it's totally illegal to break copy protections
and make a copy of media is a huge barrier.

Films also have the future advantage of going all-digital, which will
cut the preservation costs there down significantly.

I think future proofing this somehow is necessary (like how film
actually has, even if it is expensive), and in the US, for all intents
and purposes, there is either the need to get the makers involved
directly or a change in the law, both seem a bit far off :(

Andrew