[game_preservation] iPhone Game Preservation

Devin Monnens dmonnens at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 09:40:33 EDT 2009

Well, for starters there's a book that lists all the tech specs of each
console. Speaking of search functions, Amazon is horrible with that. I'll
find it and post it later.

I'd say it might be worth checking with the publishers to see what rights
they have for their games and if it's possible to work through each
individual publisher to archive games in a library, in black boxes if
necessary. That sounds like a complete legal nightmare, but the only way you
can get the information is to actually go out and ask. At the same time, it
would be a good idea to find out who owns the rights to which games.

Here's some interesting books that seem related:

iPhone Apps Book Vol. 1: The Essential Directory of iPhone and iPod Touch
Applications (Paperback)
http://www.amazon.com/iPhone-Apps-Book-Vol-Applications/dp/0761562850/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1248874605&sr=8-1

Vintropedia - Vintage Computer & Retro Console Price Guide 2009 (Paperback)
http://www.amazon.com/Vintropedia-Vintage-Computer-Retro-Console/dp/1409212777/ref=sr_1_38?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1248874128&sr=1-38

Actually, I'm curious as to when DigitPress's new price guide is coming out,
too. I also love how something that's only 10 years old is now suddenly
'vintage gaming'. If only wine could age that quickly...

-Devin

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 3:48 AM, Andrew Armstrong <andrew at aarmstrong.org>wrote:

> I thought we were just referring to the content. Technical specifications

> are a whole other affair (painful though it is, after reading up on

> Multiwinia's goings onto XBLA!). Apart from a few accounts there isn't much

> just out there as legal documents or agreements on what is needed since it's

> all kept under NDA's and whatever terms of agreement to not tell anyone

> about it. If I was more interested it'd be fascinated to try and find out

> the entirety of it though for all the systems.

> Andrew

> --

Devin Monnens
www.deserthat.com