[game_preservation] The role of comment/opinion on referencing game history articles/things

Melanie Swalwell Melanie.Swalwell at flinders.edu.au
Thu Feb 11 23:22:27 EST 2010

Andrew,

I don't have experience doing this with references, but I did invite
users to contribute their thoughts, responses, etc to the game history
interactive piece I made in 2006, with Erik Loyer: "Cast-offs from the
Golden Age". It generated some useful comments, and some nice praise,
though I would have liked people to engage more with the actual research
questions and provide more of their own anecdotes -- not that I don't
like praise...it's always nice :)

If you're interested, Cast-offs is here:
http://vectorsjournal.org/index.php?page=7&projectId=66&issueCurrent=3

I think your question goes to deeper issues on doing game history,
certainly methodological ones, but also the fact that users and fans are
the keepers of much knowledge on game history (i.e. rather than
institutions). For me, asking for contributions from people is one of
the most important ways -- often the only way -- to fill in some of the
'gaps'. It's something I'm very keen on. Eg. I did a pilot project in
2007 to map the local early software scene in New Zealand, and built a
database and solicited for contributions. Asking people what they did
and what they know is *the* only way to find out about this material.
In a (planned) Australian game history and preservation project, we plan
to expand this into a Popular Memory Archive. It will help to document
the games as understood through experience, rather than simply as artefact.

If you're interested, the Early NZ Software Database is here:
http://nztronix.org.nz/main.php

Your question was about commenting on references, though. Don't forum
discussions capture the type of commentary you're envisaging? Wouldn't
linking a forum thread (say) to a particular entry in a bibliographic
database achieve this?

cheers,

Melanie

--