[game_preservation] The role of comment/opinion on referencing game history articles/things

Andrew Armstrong andrew at aarmstrong.org
Sat Feb 13 08:35:18 EST 2010

Ahh, neat comments on your project Cast-Offs there! I see what you mean
about praise versus comments.

On 12/02/2010 04:22, Melanie Swalwell wrote:

> I think your question goes to deeper issues on doing game history,

> certainly methodological ones, but also the fact that users and fans

> are the keepers of much knowledge on game history (i.e. rather than

> institutions). For me, asking for contributions from people is one of

> the most important ways -- often the only way -- to fill in some of

> the 'gaps'. It's something I'm very keen on. Eg. I did a pilot

> project in 2007 to map the local early software scene in New Zealand,

> and built a database and solicited for contributions. Asking people

> what they did and what they know is *the* only way to find out about

> this material. In a (planned) Australian game history and

> preservation project, we plan to expand this into a Popular Memory

> Archive. It will help to document the games as understood through

> experience, rather than simply as artefact.

> If you're interested, the Early NZ Software Database is here:

> http://nztronix.org.nz/main.php

Absolutely, soliciting these kinds of comments is partially why I
brought it up - it's a larger issue of "historians don't know everything
to start with" (even the most reliably informed ones), and thus things
might be comments more then actual facts.

> Your question was about commenting on references, though. Don't forum

> discussions capture the type of commentary you're envisaging?

> Wouldn't linking a forum thread (say) to a particular entry in a

> bibliographic database achieve this?

Forum feedback, or moderated commented discussion would be somewhat
suitable - of course email feedback/form feedback too, as such. I always
am wary thinking about having, say, if we did get this kind of thing
activated (even if it was only of minor use and updated not hugely),
that if such unmoderated comments were shown with the articles
information that it'd be both good and bad - if someone badmouths
something, or praises it and that is actually wrong, you'd need to start
deleting items (or posting to the effect that they are wrong) and it
gets really complex! :)

Possibly if the forum/feedback area was entirely separate from the main
entries and that amendments and comments had to be basically added by
the entry writers - after some discussion with whoever brought up the
feedback (such as "That thing got this date of release wrong!!11!" and
having to check that was the case, since even dates of release are not
concrete).

Thanks for your thoughts, lots to think about, and I think the NZ
database system of contribution is something at least worth doing after
moderation - typically if it is articles (which will be the first thing
to concentrate on, since Google isn't all knowing), then these are
typically easier to accept submissions of compared to software, which
might make it easier.

Andrew