[game_preservation] GDC

Rachel Donahue donahrm at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 23:46:56 EST 2010

I'll be there, also with a main conference pass. :)

On Feb 26, 2010 8:05 PM, "Devin Monnens" <dmonnens at gmail.com> wrote:

Who all is going to the GDC?

I have a Main Conference pass (but might be getting a full or press pass).

I can present my data from the survey there as well as the PDF/.doc of the
list of game preservation groups.

I'm afraid I haven't given coverage of the PCA/ACA paper I gave - which
basically summarized the contents of the survey. Akinori Nakamura from
Ritsumeikan also presented his paper on the game preservation efforts they
are doing in Japan. Ritsumeikan is working closely with Nintendo, and
graduates from the program have gone to work on the Virtual Console. They
have the only officially sanctioned emulator by Nintendo and have had access
to Nintendo's complete collection of games to work on their catalogue
system. In addition, Mr. Nakamura's graduates are working with Masayuki
Uemura (the designer of the Famicom and Super Famicom) to record gameplay.
They record player expressions, gameplay video, button mapping, and the
intensity at which buttons are pressed for four-channel video. This was a
very amazing demonstration because it provides great promise for researching
how players play games (Super Mario Bros. was the example). Mr. Nakamura
will be finishing his draft and seems very interested in distributing it
through the SIG.

-Devin

--
Devin Monnens