[game_preservation] GDC

Henry Lowood lowood at stanford.edu
Sat Feb 27 01:58:02 EST 2010

I'll be there, too. Whoever is there, please come to the Roundtable.

Henry

Rachel Donahue wrote:

> I'll be there, also with a main conference pass. :)

>> On Feb 26, 2010 8:05 PM, "Devin Monnens" <dmonnens at gmail.com

>> <mailto:dmonnens at gmail.com>> wrote:

>> Who all is going to the GDC?

>> I have a Main Conference pass (but might be getting a full or press

>> pass).

>> I can present my data from the survey there as well as the PDF/.doc

>> of the list of game preservation groups.

>> I'm afraid I haven't given coverage of the PCA/ACA paper I gave -

>> which basically summarized the contents of the survey. Akinori

>> Nakamura from Ritsumeikan also presented his paper on the game

>> preservation efforts they are doing in Japan. Ritsumeikan is working

>> closely with Nintendo, and graduates from the program have gone to

>> work on the Virtual Console. They have the only officially sanctioned

>> emulator by Nintendo and have had access to Nintendo's complete

>> collection of games to work on their catalogue system. In addition,

>> Mr. Nakamura's graduates are working with Masayuki Uemura (the

>> designer of the Famicom and Super Famicom) to record gameplay. They

>> record player expressions, gameplay video, button mapping, and the

>> intensity at which buttons are pressed for four-channel video. This

>> was a very amazing demonstration because it provides great promise

>> for researching how players play games (Super Mario Bros. was the

>> example). Mr. Nakamura will be finishing his draft and seems very

>> interested in distributing it through the SIG.

>> -Devin

>> --

>> Devin Monnens

>> www.deserthat.com <http://www.deserthat.com>

>> The sleep of Reason produces monsters.

Henry Lowood
Curator for History of Science & Technology Collections;
Film & Media Collections
HRG, Green Library
557 Escondido Mall, Stanford University Libraries
Stanford CA 94305-6004 USA
http://www.stanford.edu/~lowood
lowood at stanford.edu; 650-723-4602