[game_preservation] Fwd: Re: [GAMESNETWORK] Boss battle first ref

Devin Monnens dmonnens at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 23:04:57 EDT 2010

Yup. You would really need to reference both I think. You can't say dnd
influenced Phoenix because Japanese arcade game designers didn't play
mainframe computer games (and certainly not on Plato). And dnd can probably
get its ideas from D&D, though I am not familiar with any of the campaigns
to say whether or not 'boss' characters existed. But I'm sure you had enough
dragons guarding treasure to warrant it.

As for the origins...

Well, it's from the Dutch, 1650s *baas*, 'master' or 'foreman'. I would tend
to associate it with gangsters and foremen - the guy who runs the job. He's
the 'boss' of the little guys. I'd say the term derives from gangster films

:)

Mugsy, distributing the loot: One for you and one for me!
Buggs Bunny: What about me, boss?
Mugsy: And one for you!

>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boss_battle etc do not give the origins of

>>> the term. Is it lost in time?

>>> \

>> \

>> From Hauptmann

>> Electricity is really just organized lightning. ... G Carlin

>> Dr. J. R. Parker, Digital Media Laboratory

>> Professor of Play http://www.ucalgary.ca/~jparker<http://www.ucalgary.ca/%7Ejparker>

>> Faculty of Fine Arts jparker@ ucalgary.ca

>> University of Calgary 403-220-6784 AB606/AB611

>> --

>> Gamesnetwork, discussion list of Digital Games Research Association,

>> www.digra.org

>> subscription:

>> https://listserv.uta.fi/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=GAMESNETWORK&A=1 .

>> The list archive is available online at:

>> https://listserv.uta.fi/archives/gamesnetwork.html

> -- Gamesnetwork, discussion list of Digital Games Research Association,

> LISTSERV at UTA.FI from your subscribed email account. Web interface to

> subscribe and manage your subscription:

> https://listserv.uta.fi/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=GAMESNETWORK&A=1 . The list

> archive is available online at:

> https://listserv.uta.fi/archives/gamesnetwork.html

> -- Gamesnetwork, discussion list of Digital Games Research Association,

> LISTSERV at UTA.FI from your subscribed email account. Web interface to

> subscribe and manage your subscription:

> https://listserv.uta.fi/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=GAMESNETWORK&A=1 . The list

> archive is available online at:

> https://listserv.uta.fi/archives/gamesnetwork.html