[LEAPSECS] but what does Daniel Gambis say?B

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Thu Aug 28 07:30:47 EDT 2008

François Meyer said:

> http://arXiv.org/pdf/0808.3612

> As the authors write, this is a pure mathematical

> prediction ; of course the agreement between the

> model and the data is excellent for the period

> covered by data, but with 17 harmonic terms it could

> hardly be different.

How many data points are they using to get the fit? With 17 harmonic terms
they have 53 degrees of freedom in their equation.

This feels very much like a case of adding too many terms to your
equation so that it's bound to fit the data. I've had some nasty
experiences because someone decided to fit a fifth-order polynomial to some
data without looking at the results (electrical efficiency was swinging
between -300% and +400%).

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Work: <clive at demon.net> | Tel: +44 20 8495 6138
Internet Expert | Home: <clive at davros.org> | Fax: +44 870 051 9937