[LEAPSECS] How good could civil timekeeping be?

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Fri Feb 15 09:48:37 EST 2008

Rob Seaman scripsit:

> POSIX is indeed a facet of the world we've built. I might argue that

> better system engineering practices might have avoided its limitations

> :-) but we have to deal with the technology we've inherited.

Richard P. Gabriel's famous "The Rise of 'Worse Is Better'" essay
(online at http://www.jwz.org/doc/worse-is-better.html among other
places) may shed some light on just why Posix has become so popular.
For that matter, it may shed some light on the whole debate: leap-second
guys are from Cambridge, TI guys are from New Jersey.

I recommend those of you who haven't read it yet (who are more likely
to be from Cambridge and not know it) to do so. Ignore the parochial
Lisp-isms.