[LEAPSECS] Coming of age in the solar system

Ian Batten igb at batten.eu.org
Mon Sep 6 12:21:40 EDT 2010

On Mon, September 6, 2010 17:06, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> In message

> <846fe1ddc827bb1b14a27a4a17b8865d.squirrel at mail.batten.eu.org>, "Ian

> Batten" writes:

>> On Mon, September 6, 2010 15:28, Steve Allen wrote:

>> Whichever, I think the chances of it being done with five

>> years' notice are low: once passed, a government will want to reap the

>> political benefits itself.

> There was a lot of noise in EU context, and that resulted in one of the

> "technical requirements" for EU membership being that countries do not

> f**k with their summertime, and presumably timezones, with anything less

> than 5 years notice.

Summer time transition dates are a lot more annoying than the timezone,
though, and it would be pretty dumb to insist on five years' notice of
moving towards the mainland. Portugal switched to CET from 1992 to 1996,
so it's unlikely they gave five years' notice unless they pre-planned the
reversion...