[LEAPSECS] Coming of age in the solar system

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Mon Sep 6 13:12:07 EDT 2010

On Mon, 6 Sep 2010, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> There was a lot of noise in EU context, and that resulted in one of the

> "technical requirements" for EU membership being that countries do not

> f**k with their summertime, and presumably timezones, with anything less

> than 5 years notice.

Interesting. AIUI the EU summer time rules have been fixed for an
indefinite time since 2001 (earlier directives specified the summer time
rules for a limited number of years) and have been effectively the same
since 1996 (three cheers for stability). Member states have to follow the
same summer time rules but I thought that the choice of base timezone was
entirely up to them.

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch <dot at dotat.at> http://dotat.at/
HUMBER THAMES DOVER WIGHT PORTLAND: NORTH BACKING WEST OR NORTHWEST, 5 TO 7,